Jennifer Smolka, PhD
Hands-on, innovative team builder within the elearning industry for design, management, leadership, and teaching across higher education, K12 education, business, and non-profit.
For the last 25 years, Dr. Smolka has been leading and engaging with learners at institutes of Higher Education in campus-based, online and hybrid delivery models including, but not limited to, University of North Texas, Western Governors University, Southern Methodist University, University of West Georgia, Walden University, Northcentral University, and American InterContinental University.
EDUCATION Ph.D. Educational Computing, University of North Texas Minor: Organizational Behavior and Leadership M.S. Computer Education & Cognitive Systems, University of North Texas B.S. Elementary Education, Texas Tech University Minor: Mathematics CERTIFICATIONS QM Peer Review: K12 (July) & Higher Ed (in process), 2020 QM APPQMR: Higher Ed and K12, 2020 Life Teaching Certification: K-8 & Mathematics, Texas Education Agency, 1991
HIGHLIGHTS OF INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN
- Designed curriculum within a culture of quality assurance and project management.
- Applied design theory and strategies to create engaging and authentic learning experiences.
- Aligned resources, activities and assessments to competencies and standards.
- Produced synchronous webinars for audiences in academic and non-academic environments.
- Collaborated with subject matter experts to design curriculum for teacher education, business, criminal justice, and healthcare analytics.
- Consulted with teacher, business and healthcare organizations for creation of learning outcomes.
HIGHLIGHTS OF LEARNING DESIGN MANAGEMENT
- Managed teams of designers and facilitators within the curriculum development process.
- Developed partnerships with academic and non-profit organizations to deliver a virtual. conference for teachers, researchers and parents across multiple disability communities.
- Managed development and delivery of over 250 hours of live and recorded bilingual content.
- Provided guidance to university-wide leadership teams regarding instructional theories and pedagogy, instructional design principles, and technology integration.
- Documented curriculum and assessment methodologies, processes, procedures and policies.
- Developed models of learner analytics to track doctoral student progression and pacing.
- Facilitated discussions and outreach for learner analytics across all multiple disciplines.
- Developed models of competency-based professional development for healthcare analytics.
- Recruited and trained subject matter experts and consultants to support design initiatives.
HIGHLIGHTS OF EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION
- Directed curriculum for 14 PhD in Education specializations.
- Supported 1,400 students in graduate coursework and research.
- Managed a team of 10 full-time coordinators and 160 part-time faculty.
- Assisted leadership in managing a process for identification and support of at-risk students based on student progression data.
- Created policies and procedures to support areas of student retention, persistence and academic success including failure to attend, academic dismissals, time to degree completion, student progress, and student writing remediation.
- Represented the program through NCATE accreditation visits and interviews.
- Collaborated with SBEC, TEA and THECB for statewide certification and alternative certification.
HIGHLIGHTS OF TEACHING
- Delivered face-to-face sessions for doctoral students in residency setting.
- Facilitated international face-to-face and virtual residencies.
- Chaired dissertation students in Educational Technology and Learning, Instruction and Innovation.
- Supported learning community of 2,300 students in graduate degrees to support capstone projects implementing action research and small scale qualitative or quantitative research.
- Motivated traditional and non-traditional students to achieve goals and graduate.
- Created individual academic plans to meet the competency levels for each student.
- Face-to-face instructor and facilitator for higher education, K12, and community learning.
- Online instructor for graduate and undergraduate courses in education.